On Apr 7, 2009, at 11:12 AM, joe wrote:

> clicking a link from Mail causes a second instance of the browser to
> start.

This is incorrect. You can never run a second instance of "the"
browser. You can only run a second instance of a "second" browser.
This means you must have TWO versions of the browser on you computer
to begin with, and you must be currently using one of the two, and
then then second one is being launched by the link as a default
preference.

I'm currently using Safari 4 (public beta) as my only open browser. I
just ran an experiment to try and duplicate the supposed buggy
behavior you're describing. I changed the default browser preference
from within Safari>Preferences...>General>Default Web Browser: to each
of my installed browsers. I then clicked upon a link from within an
email within Mail.app (the link was in the G3-5 footer:
<http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml
 >.

In EVERY case the link opened to the correct default browser, and in
NO case could I make it open a second instance of Webkit or Safari. I
felt this experiment was necessary because Mail.app does use the
"installed" webkit framework to display .html email, so there seemed a
slight chance a bug could cause the default browser preference to
override when Webkit's "self-contained" framework was being used. On
my PPC G5 this was not the case, the default browser was ALWAYS used
with links from within Mail.app.