On Apr 22, 2009, at 4:40 PM, Gus Rego wrote:

> I currently have a PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-112D installed in my G3 B&W.
>
> Hardware Overview:
>
>  Machine Name:    PowerMacG3series
>   Machine Model:    PowerMac1,1
>   CPU Type:    PowerPC 750  (2.2)
>   Number Of CPUs:    1
>   CPU Speed:    400 MHz
>   L2 Cache (per CPU):    1 MB
>   Memory:    768 MB
>   Bus Speed:    100 MHz
>   Boot ROM Version:    1.1.1f4
>   MAC OS 10.4.11
>

> I have been wanting to burn bigger DVDs (the dual layered I believe
> they are called)  the 7.?? GB that are in my DVD Library.
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation to they Brand and Model of a Dual
> Layered DVD that would work in this old G3?

A DVR-112D fully supports all current media types, including DVD9s.

You will need an appropriate application (Toast 8 is what I use).

Toast 8 incorporates a compression facility which allows DVD9s which
are in "plain text" to be reencoded into DVD5s.

Some earlier Toast versions depended upon another Roxio Application,
Popcorn, to do the compression.

Of course, only "plain text" DVDs may be manipulated in this way, and
there are other utilities ... unspeakable ones ... which can decrypt
a protected DVD into a "plain text" version of same.

The compression times you will see with such a slow G4 could be as
long as 1 hour, or even more.

My own personal rule-of-thumb, derived over many compressions from
DVD9 to DVD5, are as follows:

1) Dual 1.0 GHz Quicksilver 2002 G4 Mack, about 60 minutes,

2) dual 3.6 GHz Intel Hack, about 12.5 minutes, and

3) quad 3.2 GHz Intel Hack, about 10 minutes.

On account of this, I assign my dual and quad Hacks to DVD authoring
and duplicating duties.

For run-of-the-mill DVDs, I use RiData 16X DVD+Rs.

For the occasional dual-layer DVD, I use Memorex 2.7X DVD+R DLs.

For my purposes, DL DVDs are not particularly useful, although all my
'puters have been updated to include DL writing capability.

I have mainly DVR-110s, and a few DVR-112s, plus a couple of 12.7mm
(0.5000") "slim" burners which are in laptops.

After my wholesale conversion to Intel Hacks for "production" work, I
now use Lite-On or Samsung 22X SATA burners.

Your old G3 will have no issues with DL media, with the right
application.

My sole remaining G3 is a 500 MHz Pismo PowerBook, and it has a slot-
load DL burner, which occasionally sees some work. But mainly not.

My desktops get most of my work.