> From: Paul
>

> On May 16, 3:41 pm, PeterH <peterh5...@rattlebrain.com> wrote:
>> On May 16, 2009, at 1:05 PM, Paul wrote:
>>
>>> Many, if not all, LCD monitors have a single best resolution and
>>> frequency.
>>
>> Many, if not all, monitors of ANY TYPE have a single best resolution
>> and frequency, moreso with CRTs than with LCDs, however.
>

> I've usually gotten a very good picture using more than one resolution
> on a CRT, but I haven't yet found more than one clean-looking
> resolution on an LCD monitor. With an LCD, I think what they do is
> cluster a few pixels into one to handle anything less than the maximum
> resolution. That makes the view somewhat fuzzy.

I can second that CRTs seem able to handle different resolutions
better. Whenever I have looked at an LCD that is not real close to
its native resolution, I have noticed it to be less than sharp.

However, there are a set number of hardware pixels, no? And both CRTs
and LCDs need to be software herded into displaying less. I used to
have a magnifying glass on my desk to look at my old SE30 screens to
see the little pixels, I forget why, I recall programming a few
things that involved graphics and measuring things... <g>

Let me get that old crazy feeling back... mmm....

Try this on your monitors

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd";>
<head>
     <title>Just one pixel</title>
</head>

(Paste into BBEdit (or some text editor) and call it "something.html"
and drag file over any modern browser)

and take a decko at the red pixel with a magnifying glass. Gee, the
pxs are so fine on an LCD!

dorayme