On May 26, 2009, at 10:01 PM, Mac G4 wrote:

> Thanks Kris...
> 2 follow up questions.
>
> a) is there something similar for the OS as opposed to the hardware?

No. The best you can do with a previously installed OS is to reinstall
the latest Combo Update which will refresh any corruption that exists
in any file that has been updated. The only other solution to OS
Software issues is to do a clean installation, or an archive
reinstallation. These days, the need for a reinstallation are rare, OS
X is very stable for the most part, and if a reinstallation of the
latest Combo Update can't solve your problems, it's likely you need a
clean installation in my opinion. I think HD failure is more likely
than an OS X fatal issue.

> b) I ran the AHT...but unsuccessfully.  When I booted to the disk as
> instructed (nothing but my monitor, keyboard and mouse connected to
> the keyboard was plugged in) I received a screen that said :
>
> 'Invalid memory access at &SRR0: 00034870 &SRR1: 00003030
> type shut-down to turn off or mac-boot to boot computer'
>
> I typed mac-boot thinking it was just a minor issue, then received a
> similar screen:
>
> 'Invalid memory access at &SRR0: 056106dc  &SRR1: 00003030'  This time
> it had no further instructions.  So i typed mac-boot again.
>
> From there I am in what seems like an infinite loop.  The screen has a
> flashing folder alternating a question mark and  the 'mac faces' on
> it.  I can hear the CD spin up ever few seconds (seems to be an equal
> amount of time between spin ups).
>
> any ideas??

I've seen this once before, but it was long ago, and I can't remember
the exact problem or solution. It would seem to indicate a RAM issue,
but I think I remember this wasn't the real problem, perhaps it's a
bad burn? You burned the unmounted .dmg using Disk Utility by dragging
the icon into the left column beneath the HD icons, then highlighted
the .dmg and pressed the burn button in the upper left?

If you think it's a RAM problem, the utility AppleJack is bundled with
MemTest. AppleJack and Memtest run in Single User Mode boot, and are
good. I'd suggest running MemTest.

Bad RAM is the great impersonator, it appears as almost anything, so
verifying the RAM is good is a really good first step in
troubleshooting a problematic Mac.