> From: Kyle Hansen
>
> On 5/30/09 2:56 PM, "Alexander MacLeod" <twocor...@gmail.com>
> Broadcast into
> the ether:
>
>> On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 5:03 PM, Jeff Smith
>> <smith.b.j...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I am between a used 15'' PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz with 2gb ram for
>>> around
>>> 700 - 800 with 10.4 or a new 15'' MacBook 2Ghz with 2gb ram for
>>> around 1200.
>>
>> What about the basic $999 White MacBook? It's the only MacBook that
>> still has a firewire port, which is very important, to me at least.
>>
>> I think that buying any PPC-based Mac at this point is of dubious
>> value. Once Snow Leopard comes out, Apple is officially leaving PPC
>> architecture behind. Also, you can run Windows on the Intel-based
>> Macs
>> (if you must), and boot from USB 2.0 devices as well.
>>
>> I'd go with the White MacBook. Just my $.02.
>>
>> Alex
>
> I am an Apple Certified Technician and I agree with Alex.  Forward
> compatibility will be much more in terms of value down the line
> than the
> initial investment.

I am an Apple Prohibited Person (one expressly forbidden to work on
other people's computers with my rough "how's your father' ways) and
I agree with Alex too if you have the money. If you are making
websites for commercial purposes, important to check how they look on
what most people have, namely Windows IE 6, 7 and now 8. You can do
this on an Intel Mac with Win installed too.

I do it by having a cheap winbox just to my left on the floor here
and connecting it to one of my screens (which I can switch between
digital (the Mac) and VGA (the winbox). PowerPC G5 towers are still a
bit pricey anyway. For me, I would rather spend my dough on a G4 MDD
or a not-top-of-range G5 PPC with a massive 23 or 24 screen - but
that's me.
--
dorayme