On Jun 3, 2009, at 12:53 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

> On Jun 3, 2009, at 10:51 AM, Dennis Myhand wrote:
>

>> Why would you pay 18.5K for a set of B & Os when you can spend a mere
>> $500.00 for a pair of Klipsch bookself speakers which is more than
>> anyone will ever need?
>
> The same people who buy $500 wooden volume control knobs, $1300
> speaker cables and $2500 tube amps for their iPods.

I have to partially disagree here. In my youth (early 80's), when I
had hair and good hearing, I could tell the difference between $200
pr KMart specials, $500pr Klipschs, $900pr Polks (top of the line,
which I bought) and, the Quad ESL63s ($5,000 pr, iirc).

Yes, there is a point of diminishing returns, and for most people the
low (not bottom) end is the sweet spot. But there will always be
people for whom the last little improvement is worth the
extraordinary price jump. Whether it is the professional musician or
rich audiophile hobbyist buying the B & O speakers or that Mac
enthusiast who paid the extra $700 (20% price bump) for less than a
10% speed increase in buying the 733MHz DA over the 667MHZ back in
the day, there will always be that market.

Len