On Jun 7, 2009, at 12:44 AM, Kyle Hansen wrote:

> On 6/6/09 11:02 AM, "Bruce Johnson" <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>
> Broadcast
>
> He's right.  Bruce hates the overuse of Permissions Repair as the
> "magical
> solution" (remember the "cuda button days?") as much as I do.
>
> I am an apple Certified Technician.  I to it for a living.  Bruce
> is right.
> As he almost always is....didn't I get you with 1 wrong answer?  Or
> semi-wrong?
>
> Kyle Hansen

To try and resolve my Upgrade to 10.5.7 issues, I have since done
this, and am currently claiming success:

1. Manually/otherwise Uninstall M-Audio (3rd party) components.
2. Restart in Single User Mode and Run applejack in *a*uto pilot mode
(multistep sequence: Repairs Disk, Repairs Permissions, Clears
Virtual Memory, clears caches, checks validity of preference files,
etc, IIRC)
3. Shutdown, Rest, and Startup, allowing 3rd party-free system to
stabilize (see Activity Monitor settle - allow Spotlight (mds) to
finish, kextcache, find, etc to conclude).
4. Test system by Shutdown, Rest, and Startup.
5. Install M-Audio (3rd party) components, Restart until you can
Shutdown.
6. Startup in Single User Mode and Run applejack in *a*uto pilot mode
(multistep sequence)
7. Shutdown and let rest.
8. Startup resetting PRAM using opt-command-P-R

Somewhere along the way I also used OnyX to Reset > Spotlight Index,
since part of the issues may be related to corrupt Spotlight files.
Letting Spotlight finish has become something to watch out for,
before using a freshly Startup'ed system, and / or before Restarting.

Trying to trust the OS X 10.5.7 system that appears to be working as
of the typing of this line ... just Startup'ed very cleanly after
being down for a few hours.

If others have success with this idea, please comment. Thanks

I may return to 10.5.6 until the techno-dust settles ... I made a CCC
3.2.1 clone of it before upgrading to 10.5.7 ... A bunch of folks on
Apple Discussions, are complaining about this upgrade ...

Bill Connelly
artsite: http://mysite.verizon.net/moonstoneartstudio
myspace: http://www.myspace.com/moonstoneartstudio