Stephen, the dongle does need USB 2, according to the tech description
of it, but like you I added a PCI card that provides it.

By the way, here's the URL to this gadget; I notice that the one I
provided above was wrong: <http://tinyurl.com/66egqs>

Anyway, Kris led me to the solution, (thanks Kris!) and now the
wireless dongle is working and the Mac is connected to the internet
through it.

Kris, when you said "Can you launch Installer independently of the
package by double- clicking the Installer.app icon in the Utilities
folder?" I went to the Utilities folder to try that, but I could not
find the Installer app. anywhere. It just wasn't in there.

So, I went back to my wife's G4 MDD and looked in her utilities
folder, and she had an Installer there. So, I copied the Installer
from her Utilities folder onto a flash drive, carried the flash drive
over to the other G4--the Quicksilver--and copied the Installer into
the Quicksilver's Utilities folder.

Then the software installer .pkg on the NewerTech CD opened up and
installed just fine, and the dongle came to life and the Quicksilver
had a connection to the Internet. Success!

My only  question is (not that it really matters now): just how did
the Installer in the Quicksilver's Utilities folder get lost? Where
did it go, and how come it wasn't there? Both these Macs are running
10.4 (hers is 10.4.9 and the Quicksilver is 10.4.11). I've never
messed with anything inside the Utilities folder, so how could it just
vanish like that?

Oh well, all's well that ends well I guess, and thanks for the help!

Tom