At 11:44 PM -0400 6/12/2009, insightinmind wrote:
>We've entered "lightening season" and I have begun unplugging my
>systems as storms approach.

Me too!

>Does this place a drain on the PRAM batteries?

Yea, but so what?  That's what they're for.  And the battery lasts
for years anyway...

>I've come to mistrust surge protectors, and really don't want to go
>into UPSs ... but are they immune to lightening?

NOTHING is immune to lightning.  Some devices are simply more
protective than others.

Note also that a UPS is nothing more than a better surge protector
plus a battery backup (for when the power goes out totally).  The
surge protectors in them are just like the ones you buy separately -
price vs quality.

>I also disconnect my DSL modem and ethernet cables: that's how
>lightening fried my last QS mobo [and a USB connected Nikon 5000ED
>circuit board (now back fresh as well)] ... the QS I think actually
>had problems since eBay. My replacement mobo is behaving really well.
>
>All this unplugging has become rather comical
>
>Any suggestions about how to accomplish this better?

Use a power strip / surge protector that has phone line protection.
That way you have only two plugs to pull - the power and the dsl line
into the strip.

As for the ether... how big is your LAN?  If it's just local to your
room, then it's fine once any hub/switch is unpowered.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth