On Jun 16, 2009, at 10:56 AM, John Callahan wrote:

> Would someone please tell me why when I start to print from my G4
> PowerMac QuickSilve(2002) to my hp photosmart 7960 I have to unplug
> the USB and power supply to get it to work.

First question...is this new behavior or has it always behaved like
this?

> I have reinstalled the
> printer app and down loaded and installed the latest version, no
> help. Trying to get help from HP is useless and senseless.

Well I'll second you on that last point!

The errors will be logged in two possible places, both viewable in the
Console application in /Applications/Utilities.

Look for entries about USB at the time you print when this happens,
and click the 'More Logs' icon, and click the little reveal arrows
next to  /var/log then next to /cups and look at the error_log at the
time you print.

At a guess, something's falling asleep (printer or computer) and not
waking up.

The logs may give us more information.

I'm kind of surprised that you have to do both...

Another thing to do, Look at System Profiler under the USB section
*before* you print when you would normally have to do this. See if the
printer is listed there as connected. Unplug the USB and reconnect it
if it isn't, click refresh and see if it shows up.

Lastly (or maybe firstly, depending on your circumstances) Have you
tried the simple? Replace the USB cable? 4-leggers, particularly the
feline sort have a tendency to enjoy chewing on cables...

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona