At 2:53 PM -0500 6/17/2009, Kris Tilford wrote:

>A long time ago (meaning I don't know if this is currently true, I
>hope not?) I manually striped the language resources from Webkit and
>it destroyed the ability to search within Safari, and some versions
>wouldn't even launch after removal of some languages. I filed a bug
>report on this phenomenon, and very quickly I got a super-rude reply
>from a Webkit developer saying "who did I think I was to 'lobotomize'
>their code" and "why should ANY software that's been manually
>'butchered' by a user be expected to function normally"?

While I cannot comment on what code was or was not included with the
localizations,,, I agree with the sentiment.  Developers work hard to
produce *working* products.  Having a user lobotomize them
intentionally is just bad juju.  Then there's the horrible support
problem...

As to the need for localization code... I can think of quite a few
reasons for it.  Depends on the languages involved - quite a few are
not simple word-for-word substitutions to engrish.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.