On 17/06/09 10:40 PM, "John Martz" <zjo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 9:46 PM, Arnel Tuazon<a.tua...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Quick question: Which is better (more stable) an original Airport card
>> (802.11b) or a PCI wireless card that is 802.11n ?
>
> IMO that's a question that can't really be answered as asked. I don't
> believe the "stability" of a connection has much to do with whether
> the protocol used is 802.11b or n. I wouldn't approach the question of
> what adapter to use this way.

Thanks for the detailed answer, but my question wasn't really dealing with
the protocol.  I apologize if it seemed confusing, but what I was really
asking was the stability of the TYPE of card being used i.e. Airport vs.
PCI. The Airport card is Apple and Apple I trust, the PCI card is 3rd party
"Edimax nMax 802.11n PCI wireless card".

Does anyone have any experience using a PCI wireless card on a G4 and if so
how stable was it?

I am using the latest Airport Extreme base station.

> 802.11n can be noticeably faster than 802.11b. But if you don't think
> things through ahead of time you might not realize the potential the
> marketeering types allege in their cryptic ad bites. That said,
> 802.11b is pretty well dead at this point in time and I wouldn't
> advise anyone to go that route unless they had very compelling reasons
> to do so. Or equivalently, compelling reasons why they would NOT want
> to go with 802.11n.
>
> The fact that you would be using an 802.11n capable router makes me
> wonder why on earth you'd stick with "b". But I really don't know your
> context and doing so may very well make sense for you.

The reason I was considering the original Airport card was that the G4 Gig-E
has a built-in Airport card port.  I know that on my old G3 iBook, the
Airport card picks up the connection to the base station very well and it
has no problems what so ever.  If I go with the PCI route, even though there
are OS X drivers, would there be potential problems with connecting to the
base station?