On Jun 20, 2009, at 3:31 PM, Matthew Burks wrote:

> A couple of years back I was in contact with a guy on this forum or
> another Mac forum who said that you could put a dual 933mhz CPU board
> into a G4 Digital Audio. Anyone know anything about that?

Apple made two fast dual processor boards which are usable on Digital
Audios: dual 800 MHz (QS 2001) and dual 1.0 GHz (QS 2002). Both of
these required a special power cable adapter.

Apple also made a slow dual processor board for a Digital Audio: dual
533 MHz (DA). This did not require any power adapter.

I can see no way that a dual 533 could be run at 933.

It is theoretically possible to "down-clock" an 1000 or overclock an
800.

However, although the dual 800 and the dual 1000 processors were made
using the very same "raw" board, there are major differences between
the dual 800 and the dual 1000.

The components which are apparently missing on a dual 800 are present
on a dual 1000, and the components which are apparently missing on a
dual 1000 are present on a dual 800.

In this way, Apple make it impossible to convert a dual 800 to a dual
1000 (or any frequency above 800), or to convert a dual 1000 to a
dual 800 (or any frequency below 1000).