I have had a lot of Beige G3's and one did go mute. I solved the problem by
just replacing the personality card. One thing that you might try is zapping
the pram. Turn on the computer and hold down: Command + Options + P + R.
Hold these keys until the computer restarts about 3 times. Usually you would
measure when it restarts by when it chimes but in your case that won't work.
You might try looking at the keyboard lights to tell you.
-Jonas