On Jul 8, 2009, at 7:32 AM, Chance Reecher wrote:

> I too tried a PCI card, a R8139. It drops the connection just like the
> built-in ethernet. I'm going to see if I can find another PCI ethernet
> card to try.

The 8139 was the worst E-net card made by Realtek, and the one which
almost sunk the company.

The 8169 is now the gold standard as Apple adopted it as its gigabit
E-net solution.

Many Intel boards have an R1000 gigabit E-net solution, but this,
too, has a few problems.

Dropped connections, slow to connect to DHCP and poor Bonjour
compatibility are issues with a number of add-on and on-mobo chips,
including R8139 and R1000.

These issues do not exist in the R8169.