On 7/10/09 9:11 PM, Nick Burman at <nbur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone know how to make this Mac startup from a CDROM so I can install
> Jaguar?

Hi Nick,

Well, I am running here Mac OS 10.4 on a Beige G3 with 512MB RAM, and
without graphics card (using the 6MB VRAM motherboard video port).

The first time I tried to install 10.4 I'e got similar problems to what
you're relating here, but then I tried a different methot and it worked.

Here's the "recipe":

1. I've partitioned my 80GB Samsung HD in two halves: one with aprox. 7.7GB
and other with aprox. 66.7GB;

2. Then I installed Mac OS 9.1 in the 66.7GB partition;

3. I've downloaded XPostFacto and put it at the root of the 7.7GB partition;

4. Then I installed Mac OS 10.2 (the last X release to work natively on
Beige G3s) on the 7.7 partition.

5. After going trough all the  of 10.2 install process, I've booted trough
it and used Softwer Update to install the security updates, the Mac OS
9.2.1, 9.2.2 and Classic Environment updates  and the combo 10.2 -> 10.2.8
update.

6. Before restarting in 10.2.8, I've removed the buggy ATI Driver <>;

7. After rebooting in 10.2.8, I rebooted again in Mac OS 9 holding the
Option key after the boot sound;

8. In Mac OS 9, I went to  XPostFacto to select the 7.7GB partition to
install 10.4 over it, rebooting trough the Mac OS 1.4 Tiger install DVD;

9. *The most important thing*: I've made a DIRTY install of Mac OS 10.4,
updating the previous Jaguar folders instead of replacing it. This way, the
drivers responsible for controlling hardware aspects sepcifical to your
Beige G3 (which aren't present in the 10.4) will be mantained.

10. Voilá! You got a Beige G3 running Tiger smoothly. Now install the Tiger
security, Java, QuickTime, iTunes and Safari updates and be happy...;-)

--
MaGioZal.
<http://flickr.com/photos/magiozal/>