Are there pros and cons to using the extra USB port on a AL Pro KB?

I tried using my Yamaha motif es8 digital piano keyboard through the
USB port for USB/MIDI ... it seemed to work.

But, at a later time it got so my OS X wouldn't startup ... and it
would get stuck after loading the drivers for my audio card, and just
be a blue screen with a cursor arrow slowly pulsing on and off.

Didn't I read something in our G3-G5 about a pulsing On/Off cursor?

I haven't traced the log yet (its gone) ... I chose to clone back a
backup copy of my Leopard 10.5.7 onto the partition that went bad ...
or got stuck around USB issues ... or got confused around backing up
to an external FW still attached, but off ... whatever. I could only
boot onto the Install DVD then onto the Firewire external containing
the backup.

Disk Utility didn't show any errors on the OS X partition.

Any ideas off the cuff without seeing a log?

Kudos for CCC 3.2.1 ...