On 8/20/09 2:39 PM, Bruce Johnson of john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu sent

> On Aug 20, 2009, at 11:01 AM, Dana Collins wrote:
>

>> I have a QT movie (.mov format) showing a demonstration of realtime
>> audio pitch manipulation that I want to use for class lecture. The QT
>> original is at 27.8 MB - thought I'd port it to my iPod Touch for
>> convenience (I use an Apple A/V composite adapter for overhead screen
>> projection on downloaded movies), so, in QuickTime, I select "export"
>> then "movie to iPod", converting the format to .m4v - I noticed it
>> took an exorbitant amount of time (27 minutes, when the movie clip is
>> maybe 12 minutes) and then left me with an m4v file weighing in at a
>> whopping 80.5 MB! I was sure the file sizes would be exponentially the
>> reverse (isn't m4v a form of encoded "compression" as mp3 is to
>> audio?).
>> Does this sound right? Should I be using a different exporting
>> algorithm?
>
> It's entirely possible to do this, as QT might well be upscaling the
> video, because convert .mov to iPod gets you specifically
> formatted .m4v files.
>
> Without knowing what the original specs are, it's hard to tell, but if
> it was small (320 x 240 or something) it could well have been smaller
> in the original; .mov files can contain considerable compression as
> well.
>
> To shrink it down size-wise you'll have to use custom settings.

 Thank you for responding, Bruce. Let's see if I can be clearer. The movie
was found on YouTube, and was downloaded as (I am sure) a Flash movie via
Perian, then ported to QuickTime. QT's movie inspector says this about the
resulting file:

H.264 (Perian), 512 x 288, Millions
AAC, Stereo, 44.100 kHz
With normal size stated as:
512 x 288 pixels (actual)

What I want to do is "shrink" it, i.e. Do the same to it as say MP3 or Lame
(or yet another lossless compressor - yes, I know MP3 is not lossless per
se, but I'm offering an analogy) does to uncompressed audio - would that not
be the *intent* of porting such a document to an iPod?

> To shrink it down size-wise you'll have to use custom settings.

In QuickTime? What are some good "custom" settings? What are others doing to
media as they prep it for iTunes marketability?

Many thanks,
Dana