On Sep 14, 2009, at 9:26 PM, Kris Tilford wrote:

> On Sep 14, 2009, at 8:10 PM, John Ruschmeyer wrote:
>
>> Actually, on a beige, you can get exact 400mhz... it's a 6x
>> multiplier of the 66mhz bus.
>
> I have a 400 MHz G4 CPU for my Beige. It ran fine at 400 MHz, and I
> was able to overclock it to 433 MHz with zero problems. I ran it at
> 466 MHz for several months, but it would freeze about once a week, and
> sometimes this would corrupt some data, so I eventually gave up on 466
> and settled for 433. You can go up to a 10x multiplier I think, but I
> never saw any ZIFs fast enough to handle that multiplier.

I always had success taking a B & W processor 1 step faster in a beige
with no problems. ie, a 400 to 433. Once or twice, I was able to get
stability at 2 steps (400 to 466) with lots of cooling. But I always
had a lot of drives and could never get enough cooling to run that way
for too long.

Good ol' OWC, still has the beige jumper setting chart up. Here is is:

http://eshop.macsales.com/Tech/Load_Page.cfm?page=beigejumpers.html

Unless you really want to live on the edge, I would stick with the
66MHz bus and 33MHz pci settings. Some beiges (Rev A Motherboards,
iirc) had a chip near the processor called, iirc, the grackle chip
that was rated at 83MHz. Looking near the processor, it is a purplish
colored chip and if the numbers end in -83 you could POSSIBLY
overclock the main system bus to 83MHz.

As far as I know, the highest multiplier was 8x, which gives 533MHz at
66MHz bus. OWC was always friendly to overclockers and my guess is
that if there was a was to take a 533MHz rated chip to 566 or even
600, they would have shown it, with the usual disclaimers.

Len