At 12:12 PM +0200 10/10/2009, Mac User #330250 wrote:
>  > Notice what Apple did:  First they went to Intel-x86.  Then they
>>  bought PA Semi.
>
>I never really understood what that was good for. Maybe just to
>remove a good CPU completely from the market? P.A.Semi CPUs aren't
>being used in any embedded devices, are they?

General processors (CPUs) available in abundance, *shrug*.  There
are, however, still a lot of tasks that are better done in hardware
than software.  To design ASICs (application specific integrated
circuits), you need access to quality chip engineers.  Most companies
do this by farming out the work, but that's not ultimately very cost
effective.  That's why Apple bought PA Semi.

 From what I've read, the first of the new Apple-driven PA Semi
designs are coming to the market now.  You'll see them in iPhone and
the Mac Tablet and perhaps the refreshed Macs.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.