The power cord was the problem. The contacts were loose. I removed
the plug, squeezed it from the outside to bend the contacts together,
then bent them a little more with the point of a pocket knife. When
pushed back into the computer it was tight, difficult to push in. 'Ol
G4 started right up. Problem solved.

        I was stumped because I had never seen a computer just quit because
of a loose power cord. But that is what was happening.

        Thanks,