Digital Bill wrote:
> Here's a real head-scratcher. At least for me.
>
> Out of the blue, my dual 867 MDD G4 has become impossible to wake from
> sleep. *Display* sleep! I've long since abandoned putting the hard
> drives to sleep, between previous problems with (since fixed by
> replacing) the power supply and fear of the PCI USB card "issue," so I
> only sleep the displays -- in this case a 17" ADC Studio Display and a
> 19" Viewsonic digital flat panel, both off an ATI Radeon 9600.
>
> I typically leave the computer on overnight, and I have the display
> set to sleep after 45 mins. of inactivity via the Energy Saver control
> panel. I've never experienced any problems before, but suddenly within
> the past few days it's been impossible to wake it with a key press or
> wiggle of the (wired) Mighty Mouse. And I've had no choice but to shut
> it down via the APC UPS, wait a few moments, and then start it up
> again.
>
> I've noticed no other hiccups, anomalies, slowdowns, blackouts or
> other strange behavior.

What I have found is that when the computer blanks the display (display
sleep) and then fails to wake from is that it is due not to any problem
with display sleep but due to the computer crashing / locking up and it
simply happens while the display is asleep.

The first thing you can try is to attempt to access the computer via the
network once it has failed to wake up.  The best way this would be done
is via SSH or VNC (ideally both).  But you can also try it using
AppleShare or web browsing.

An alternative is to disable the display sleep and see if the computer
hangs up.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA