There were LCD screens built for use with the Apple //c.  One model was made
by Apple, another (with optional backlighting) by a company called C-VUE.  I
owned both in those days.  They were especially nice when using the //c as a
portable, with the lead acid battery and carry case that was available in
those days.  I did that for several years...before they forced me to change
over to a PowerBook 145.  Note that those lcd screens ran off the "RGB"
monitor port on the //c though, not the composite video port.  I never tried
using one of those screens with a //e or //gs...as I recall, the //e didn't
have the rgb port, and the one on the //gs was not compatible with the one
on the //c?