On Oct 22, 2009, at 2:47 PM, Jeffrey Engle wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2009, at 12:51 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:
>
>> If it *STILL* KP's after that, you have a hardware fault.
>
> I wonder when Apple will make a computer that "just tells me" what's
> the matter with it?

Seriously, it's because of the nature of a Kernel Panic, which happens
when some process accesses memory it's not been allocated. The Unix
kernel is a pretty simple thing; at it's heart it's a traffic cop and
supply clerk: it tells processes when thye can use the CPU and what
memory they can use.

When some process steps out of line and writes to memory that doesn't
exist, or is not it's own, the kernel essentially pulls the big red
switch and kills everything, because letting the errant process
continue can produce more data corruption than just immediately
shutting down.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_panic>

The OS doesn't KNOW why it crashed, only that the panic condition had
occurred. We won't get the kind of information you want until
thiotimoline based interface circuitry is developed.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona