At 12:36 AM +0000 11/15/09, Andy wrote:
>  > Hi folks,
>>
>>  I've got a G4 that's giving me startup problems.
>
>Which G4? Tower? Powerbook? Ibook?

Yeah, it's a tower.  Sorry I wasn't clear on that.  20-pin connector
from the power supply, so I'm pretty sure it's a sawtooth.  Family
M5183, G4 AGP Graphics according to
<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3082?viewlocale=en_US>

>>  currently just getting a single "boop" tone on start up.
>
>On all G4 Towers except the PCI graphics, 1 beep at startup means that
>either there's no RAM installed or no RAM can be detected.

Hmmmm.  I've tried known good RAM from another machine.

>  >
>>  I've swapped processors, ram,
>
>Swapped RAM with "Known good" RAM ? Could be RAM slots not functioning, RAM
>not seated properly, dirty connections?

It's definitely seated.  I'll try cleaning the connections.  I've
tried several slots with known good RAM, but will try again.  Perhaps
I'm using RAM that works in my other machines but not this one.  I'll
see what I can do about finding an exact match - I've got four others
of the same type, but they're all busy all the time.

--
Bill Christensen
<http://greenbuilder.com/contact/>

Sustainable Building Calendar: <http://Calendar.SustainableSources.com>