At 8:38 AM -0700 11/25/2009, Bruce Johnson wrote:
>A professor dug his old quicksilver (M8493) out of storage (been there
>about 6 months) and it wouldn't start at all. Pressed the power
>button, it flashed, then went off. Fans didn't even start up. It had
>been running fine when it was put away.
>
>I suspected the PRAM battery, so we replaced to to no avail.
>
>I took the battery out, pressed the CUDA switch, and left it over night.
>
>Came in this morning, plugged the battery back in, pressed the CUDA
>switch once, turned it on. Now it bongs, the fans rev up, then it
>shuts down again.
>
>Is this a bad PS or what? I've not got a lot of experience with this
>particular model..this is the one with the weird-a** power supply,
>too, right?

That storage area - was it damp at all?  If the former, I'm thinking
maybe the system dried out a bit and that's why it went form doornail
to trying.

Try blowing out the crud, cleaning the battery socket, then
re-seating the power connectors...

(that's how I got a DA working last week; same general symptoms)

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.