On Nov 25, 2009, at 6:35 PM, Ted Treen wrote:

> I'd be grateful if someone with greater techie knowledge than me could
> advise me on whether the fact that my G5 is SATA1 so 150Mbs as opposed
> to300Mbs SATA2 is going to mean the 1.5TB will not be noticeably
> slower
> in use.

In real use there is no difference in SATA 1.0 and SATA 2.0 for single
HDs. There is also no difference in speed for RAID 0 (stripped) pairs
of two HDs. The only place you might be able to see a real world
difference would be a RAID 5 array of HDs. It also might be faster to
use Solid-State Drives (SSDs) instead of mechanical HDs, but these are
still very expensive.

I know this from experience. I mistakenly thought that the SATA bus
speed was a limitation, but it's really the latency of the HDs that is
the limiting factor, and latency hasn't changed much at all. Also,
some SATA1 controllers are essentially SATA2 with the exception of
support for rarely used feature called SSC (Spread Spectrum Clocking),
so an SATA1 & SATA2 controller could be pretty much identical.