Mike,

the iMic is, in my experience, a great item. It will provide one stereo input,
and one stereo output, but then most Macs have that built in! I have used my
iMic to provide a way of connecting headphones to the keyboard (via usb), while
the CPU was hidden under the desk. Also to use with an Xserve that does not
have audio built in.

What you need is either a nice stereo microphone or a pair of microphones and a
stand. That way you can record a simple stereo image.
For live recording, this can get some great recordings. Download "Audacity" for
free recording software.

The next step up is a small mixer into which you can plug a combination of
multiple (electronic) instruments and microphones, mixing them together into
one stereo signal which could go into the Macs audio input.

This is a complex subject, and many things are possible these days. For more
advice you should specify exactly what you want to record.

Cheers,
John