On Dec 11, 2009, at 11:18 AM, Dan wrote:

> Thunderbird 3.
>
> heh.  I figured I'd try it...  My expectations aren't very high tho,
> as I'm used to Eudora's fast and easy to use GUI...
>
> T'bird 3 is slower than T'bird 2 (which was already abysmal compared
> to Eudora 6).  Any tips on speeding it up?  The 3 second (or more)
> lag before it displays an email body is especially frustrating.

This is decidedly wrong. Try rebuilding your mailbox indexes. But that
may be an IMAP solution for a POP account...on my new 1.6 Ghz atom
netbook message display, even new message display is nearly
instantaneous over a Wireless G network.

> Font sizes.... How do I increase the font size in the folder list?
> In the message list?

Sadly a very longstanding issue with TBird. You cannot, afaik, adjust
those things.

> Global vs Local settings.   I'm getting confused.  There are things
> in Preferences then often duplicate things in Tools>Account Settings.
> Feels like confusing lame*ss windoze interface.  How do I tell which
> setting controls what?

What settings are you talking about? Generally T-bird's been pretty
good about keeping application and account settings separate.

> Security... Thunderbird does not use Keychain?

Nope, neither does Firefox. Both have their own built-in password
storage mechanism. Part of the cost of being cross-platform.

I just went through this on my new Netbook, on which I'm running
openSuSE + Gnome (which is remarkably Mac-ish in some ways) And still
T-bird, with all it's flaws came out ahead of any of the other Linux
apps I tried.

(Several I gave up on immediately. Apparently they're incapable of
recognizing that a computer may not have at least a 1024x768 screen
and present you with a dialog box that you cannot see the bottom of.
Plus Gnome has some weird ass mode I've managed to get into where
it'll let me scroll down to the bottom of a window that doesn't show,
but then I cannot click on it. Sort of like Expose, but tragically
flawed.

But this is a rant for another day entirely! But even with these
oddities, which could well be my own inexperience with Gnome, the
performance difference between the thing running WindowsXP and SuSE is
staggeringly tilted towards the Linux side.

I'm *almost* tempted to try to get OS X working on it, except that the
one I have does not have a compatible WiFi, and a netbook tethered to
wired ethernet is like towing a 35 foot Airstream with your SmartCar.)

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona