I don't know if this would help??? But I found something out by accident
with my Clamshell iBooks... I bought a  graphite and white 466 for parts
because I wanted to upgrade my indigo and white 366 to 466 by swapping the
motherboard but before I swapped them I got the graphite and white working and
when I went to plug in my iPod it would only charge, it wouldn't mount and I
thought the firewire port was the problem??? I have 2 Indigo clamshells and
they worked great one of them was already upgraded to the 466 board and I
wanted to do the other one too!!! So I decided I would live without the
firewire port and I swapped them out, low and behold the firewire port worked
so I figured it had something to do with the info on my HD that mounted it  and
when I put the 366 into the graphite and white one it didn't mount... I figured
I could only boot my iPod from only 2 or 3 different computers, the only ones
it will work in are my 2 clamshells and my Titanium Powerbook... It won't work
in my friends clamshell but his iPod does (and his works in one of mine) and it
won't work in my daughters clamshell either??? I was thinking Apple did this to
protect iTunes and copying music??? So after reading this thread I figured I
would share this too!!!