On 05/01/10 3:13 PM, "Jeffrey Engle" <macgu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been looking at some cheap KVM switches on ebay, will they work?
> or do I need a "mac compatible" version $$$? Jeff

If it doesn't require any software to switch between computers then it
should work.  I have seen one or two switches that included software to
switch between computers, but most of them don't require any software at
all.

I'm using a 4 port USB KVM switch right now from Trendnet that has buttons
on the KVM switch (model TK-407). I've got an IBM P4, my trusty old B&W and
my cheese grater G5. Knock on wood, it works flawlessly.

Previous to this I had an I/O Gear 2 port USB KVM switch.  You had to use
the keyboard to switch computers.  It worked okay, but sometimes it would
drop the connection and I would have to fiddle with the connections on the
back of the computers to get it connected again.  I seem to prefer the ones
with the switch buttons on the switch itself.

Also regarding your later question about whether the mouse needed to be
attached to the switch, on the I/O Gear KVM switch you had to connect the
mouse to the switch or it wouldn't work.