----------  Original message  ----------
Subject: Re: G3 B&W powers up, but no sound and no video
Date:    Mittwoch 06 Januar 2010N
From:    Dan <dantear...@gmail.com>
To:      g3-5-list@googlegroups.com

> At 9:23 PM +0100 1/5/2010, Mac User #330250 wrote:
> >G3 Blue and White
> >[snip]
> >I then powered it on and got two symptoms:
> >(1) I cannot hear a startup chime,
> >(2) nor do I get video output.
>
> [snip]
>
> What you've done so far is about right.
>
> No video flicker at all?
The LCD monitor turns on for just an instant of a second shortly after I
switch on the G3 B&W. After that it remains in standby mode.
A CRT will most certainly have a quicker response time when it comes to
setting a mode.

> Have you zapped the pram?
Yes, like Kasey Smith told me to. And I additionally tried the Cmd-Opt-P-R
keys right after switching on. I also tried resetting the NVRAM with
Cmd-Opt-N-V keys.

> Replaced the pram battery?
I don't have a spare. I could use the one from the G4-AGP. (I first thought it
was a GE, but it actually is an AGP.) Or the one from my G4-QS, although I
would rather not use that one.

> Clean the speaker; reseat its cable.
I'll do so and report back. I could also use the speaker from the G4-AGP it
the specs are the same. And I guess they are, since it looks identical to me.

> Disconnect everything from both IDE buses.
> Pull all the memory.
> Try booting - you should hear error beeps etc.
Will do.

> Try cleaning the video card - it's contacts and slot.
Will do.

> Try putting the video card in a different slot.
The slot for the video card is somehow different than the other PCI slots. I
don't really understand it, but I'm confident further internet research will
help to clarify this mystory.

> >(1) Is there any way to see if the computer works at all, when there's no
> >display available?
>
> BONG
> boot
> Telnet in (if set-up); moot without special s/w on OS 9.

Okay, this is too high for me. I'm not that much into Apple diagnostics. I
never used the network boot mode either.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I'll try to get it back to life as good as I can.
I wouldn't be too happy either if I had to trash it. It's my first G3!

I'll report back.

Thanks,
Andreas  aka  Mac User #330250