From: Mac User #330250 <macuser330...@gmx.net>
Subject: Re: G3 B&W strange system behavior and specs
To: g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
Date: Thursday, January 7, 2010, 12:52 PM

----------  Original message  ----------
Subject: G3 B&W strange system behavior and specs
Date:    Donnerstag 07 Januar 2010N
From:    "Mac User #330250" <macuser330...@gmx.net>
To:      g3-5-list@googlegroups.com

> The big issue with this Power Mac is that it will get stalled at the
>  initial startup sequence (Open Firmware or something very early) IF I set
>  a Startup Volume in Mac OS 9 or in Mac OS X.
> As I remember it this boot selection is stored somewhere in the device tree
>  or so. In Open Firmware, typing "devalias" shows a "last-boot" entry, but
>  it is set to "p...@80000000/pci-bri...@d/mac...@5/ethernet". Anyway, this
>  is the only fault I could discover so far. To make the G3 fail right after
>  switching it on, all I have to do is set the boot device in Mac OS or Mac
>  OS X. Voila - it won't even show video.

Fixed.
I just installed 10.4.11 Tiger on it and miraculously it now works like
nothing ever happend. I don't understand the world anymore. There was so much
trouble in the beginning, now everything is working... :-)

I've set 10.4.11 to be the default OS for now, maybe 9.2.2 breaks it again.
But I will not fiddle with this. "Never touch a running system."

Most of the other problems are solved too by using Tiger. The missing modem is
no longer a problem. The ATA-Bus is no longer so specifically reported in Mac
OS X 10.4 as it has been in 10.3. It's simply listed as "ATA Bus".

Cheers,
Andreas  aka  Mac User #330250