On Jan 22, 2010, at 8:58 AM, Joss wrote:

My MacMini suddenly started to boot only into SAFE mode.

1) Computer: Mac Mini - Processor: 1.33 Ghz (PowerPC G4)
2) Operating System: OS X 10.5.8
3) Memory: 1GB DDR SDRAM
4) 3rd party Peripherals have been working fine for over a year:
Logitech Optical Mouse, MyBook 1 Terabyte. HP Officejet Pro L7680
working find since July 2009,
5) Recently I added a USB sound card for audio and video to plug in
mike and headphones which I used once to try out Skype. It worked but
I haven't used it since.
6) 26.8 GB available on Boot Drive.
7) no screenshots applicable
8) The only thing I've tried is rebooting several times, unplugged the
usb sound card.
9) The only change was the plugging in of the usb sound card to try
out Skype, which worked. It was shortly after this (probably the next
day) that I noticed that there was no sound which was about the same
time I noticed that the system booted into SAFE mode.

It's entirely UNlikely that your computer has been hacked. No one will hack you over a modem connection. It's far more likely that your system is messed up.

In safe mode, look in your startup items, remove any you don't use by clicking on the '-' icon.

Since it's forcing a safe boot something is screwed up on a system level, so my first fix would be to do an re-install of the combo 10.5.8 updater. Keep the combo updater about because if that doesn't work, the next suggestion is an Archive&Install from your 10.5 disk, followed by applying the combo updater.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona