On 1/23/2010 4:03 PM, Mac User #330250 wrote:
If you want to reuse parts like memory, you're much better off with the Dual-1
GHz Quicksilver, or even a Dual-800 (like mine!). Beware that the Quicksilver
2002 is the first to support large hard drives>  128 GB (system board Rev. B).
Full ACK. Consider the QS option for you (buying a used one for around 100
Dollars with no HDDs and no RAM makes your upgrade easy -- you'd just go for
the CPU speed).

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the QS can take the PC100 DIMMs also,
right?

Okay, this brings up another question... let's say I did that: would the HD from my current Sawtooth (with all the apps that came with it, many of which do not have any physical media for reinstalling) work as-is in a faster QS? In a Windows world, this doesn't normally work - a pulled hard drive from an older machine would (usually!) require a wiped drive and a full reinstall of the OS and any applications because the OS generally doesn't natively recognize a major hardware change without tossing its cookies, and once you've got this fresh OS now all the apps need put back in. I'd hate to lose half the stuff in this pleasantly reliable old Sawtooth in the changeover (I know the DRIVE would function - it's the software I'm concerned with). Does this work differently in Macs?

Anna