On Jan 23, 2010, at 7:32 PM, Jeffrey Engle wrote:

Jonas, try erasing the "free space" there's a button for that in the "erase" tab of disk utility.

I think the term "free space" in the Disk Utility/partition world means unused space that isn't formatted or partitioned. Once a HD has been partitioned "free space" changes meaning, it means the part of the partition that isn't in use. In this case, I think you meant that he should "erase" the "partition", which would release any hidden files that are eating up the 2.6 GB he's missing.

If you can't erase the entire partition, the program "Disk Inventory X" gives a graphical representation of the contents of a HD or partition with the area of each file proportional to its size so that you can quickly glance at it and see which files are eating up all the space.