On 05/02/10 2:37 AM, "Clark Martin" <cm...@sonic.net> wrote:

> As an aside to your current problem, I believe you can configure the
> Airport Extreme Base Station (AEBS) to act as a network connection.
> That is you use the wireless Access Point feature of the DSL modem.  You
> then set up the AEBS to connect wirelessly to the DSL modem.  The AEBS
> serves the attached USB printer and any computers connected via wired
> connection.  In other words you could make the printer wireless.  I'm
> not certain this feature is supported in the AEBS but I believe it is.
>

> The problem, I think, is that both the DSL Modem and the AEBS are
> providing Network Address Translation (NAT).  Also known as double NAT.
>   NAT is what allows a router (such as is part of the AEBS and DSL
> modem) to make a whole network of computers on the LAN side appear as a
> single IP address on the WAN side.
>
> The DSL modem's WAN side is connected to the Internet.  The DSL modem's
> LAN side is connected to the B&W and the AEBS's WAN side.  The AEBS's
> LAN side is connected to all the other computers and the AEBS's print
> server.  What you have then are the Internet and two discrete LANs which
> have limited access to each other.
>
> The B&W is isolated on a network that can only see the Internet via the
> DSL modem.
>
> What you are trying to do is create a single LAN.  To do this you need
> to get a 5 or 8 port 10/100 switch.  They are pretty cheap and can be
> purchased at most places that sell computers and related equipment.
>
> You connect the switch to the DSL modem, each computer and the LAN side
> of the AEBS.  You will also need to configure the AEBS to not do NAT,
> DHCP or wireless.
>
> Alternatively you could leave the DSL modem connected to the AEBS and
> put the switch between the AEBS LAN port and the computers.  This avoids
> having to reconfigure the AEBS but it does mean you will be doing double
> NAT still.  It will cause a slight speed penalty on Internet access and
> can be a configuration problem waiting to happen, especially if you
> don't understand it.

Since I am not that network savvy I think I just realized the solution to my
own problem.  I'll simply make one of the computers wireless and then I
don't need to worry about not having access to either printer.  I'm looking
at a Belkin or Airlink (both PCI).  Anyone have any experience using USB
wireless adapters on a Mac?  Are they reliable?