On Feb 15, 2010, at 2:43 PM, John Carmonne wrote:

I think I may have figured out that the port is bad.

I've not troubleshot a G5 Firewire, but if Apple System Profiler shows only one bus (which mine does), and one port works and the other doesn't, then it's likely a cable or wire connection problem, unless you tried to plug in something backwards (can be done, I've done it), but normally that would kill the FW power with a short circuit, and you say you have power at the port, but no signal. I think the previous advice is more likely to solve this issue.

So Do I really have to remove the logic board and power supply to change the front panel board?

If you do, I'd use the rear port, after all, Firewire can be daisy- chained to 256 devices. If you have any Firewire devices with only a single port place it on the end of the chain. You could get a Firewire Hub if you need more ports. Much easier than disassembling the whole thing. If you chose disassembly, I'd look for loose cables, wires, connections or blown fuses (fuses on circuit boards are often very tiny) since it appears the Firewire bus is otherwise functional.