I have the same exact laptop as you do, and I know what to do.  Are
you sure it is an apple supported hard drive? Most power macs don't
just take any hard drive to run on. It has to be a specific hard drive
that is compatible specifically with your iBook. Also, did you check
the IDE controller card i know this may sound impossible, but there is
a possibility that there is something wrong with the IDE controller
card, or it's because the IDE controller card doesn't support larger
capacities like that. Keep in mind that they shipped with 3.2GB hard
drives, and on a power mac G4 graphite AGP graphics they shipped with
40 GB Hard drives, but they only supported up to 127GB of HDD space.
If the way i am thinking is correct, there may be a very slight
possibility that your ibook doesn't even support 15GB hard drives. I
am only trying to help and list the possibilities.