On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 1:28 AM, Fabian Fang <f...@mac.com> wrote:
> On Feb 23, 2010, at 11:25 AM, Len Gerstel wrote:
>
>> The lemlists list is an underused list, but it allows a little more
>> freewheeling discussions regarding the other LEM lists.
>
> Len also wrote in another thread:
>
>> The chastisement was to take a discussion to the LEMlists list, which was
>> specifically set up to discuss the policies and practices on the LEM lists.
>> It is not an active list, but many of the LEM nannies and Dan do monitor it
>> closely. That being said, as I posted before, we do allow civil discussion
>> of list issues on the list.
>
> For those members who are not familiar with the Lemlists Group, information
> can be found here:
> <http://groups.google.com/group/lemlists/about>
>
> As a Group Manager (formerly List Nanny) for several LEM Groups, I was
> pleased when Dan set up the Lemlists Group back in June 2007, and looked
> forward to reading meaningful comments and suggestions.  However, I do not
> believe that its existence has been well publicized.  If "many of the LEM
> nannies and Dan do monitor it closely," as Len stated, but about which I
> have doubts, they would have noticed for sure that the group has not served
> its original purpose.  Almost all of the messages posted to the Lemlists
> Group for the year 2009 were initiated by one member, and those messages
> were all Off-Topic, having nothing to do with "policies and practices on the
> LEM lists."  Whoever serving as managers for that group could have and
> should have taken some action about it.  Periodic reminders about the
> existence of Lemlists Group on all other LEM Groups, by Dan or some others,
> might have helped to enhance its utilization.
>
> In any case, because of the above situation, we do accept occasional "civil"
> (in Len's word) discussion of group issues on the group, as we allow other
> occasional off-topic discussions.  However, we did have to shut down a few
> cases in which some members complained, here in the G-Group, about their
> unique personal problems in other LEM groups.
>
> Please consider subscribing to the Lemlists Group, and make constructive
> contributions there.

Thanks for reiterating some of my concerns vis a vis the promotion of
the LEMlists Group list.

While I appreciate the potential value of such a list for general or
overall LEM business ans rules issues I remain convinced that business
and rules issues specific to a thread on a particular list are more
meaingful when they remain on that list.

Sweeping business and rules issues into ( to put it in Dan's term )a
"black hole " is just asking for more confusion and therefore more
trouble. And is less likely to be informative to LEM listers of that
particular list who need the clarity.

--
Adrian D'Alessio aka; Fluxstringer

   fluxstrin...@gmail.com