On Feb 27, 2010, at 9:42 AM, Lawrence David Eden wrote:

Can connecting a Mac to my school's internet cause problems?

I was told by our "tech person" that connecting my old iMac at school will cause viruses.

I was wise enough not to argue the point, because the simple fact that they were concerned was all I needed to realize that I was going to lose any argument....

I am hoping to re-open the issue at school.....where can I find the facts?

Larry

--

I don't know where this is explained "officially".

The school just might have a rule "no outside computers", and the virus thing is just a scare tactic.

Removing the fear factor:

Viruses are operating system & authorization dependent.

Offer this and just walk away:

Your iMac uses OS X only.

what operating system do the schools computers use ... Windows? or OS X?

If Windows ...

Computer viruses don't jump across OSs, as someone pointed out in another recent thread response.

Macs generally don't have viruses.

Windows computers generally do.

From experience helping my partner on his HP: The money you "save" on buying a windows computer, is usually reinvested in Spyware, Malware, Anti-virus Protection Software Systems, Internet Memberships at Virus Update Centers, Doctor's Bills caused by stress of the threat of losing all your work, by losing all your work due to virus activity and anti-virus activity, time spent re-installing the Windows operating system that is beyond repair, etc. ... and you cannot be held responsible for any of this expense, because you choose Mac OS X.

Go to "I don't know where this is explained "officially""

If OS X ...

Macs don't generally have viruses.

Go to "I don't know where this is explained "officially""