Bill, I have the exact same set as you.
I would use pacifist to work on the CD set instead of the dmgs to
extract the iLife Applications.
Aren't you going to burn the disk images first as opening them before
you burn them will likely make them unusable?

Don't have any clues about the modifying code though as I rarely use
Pacifist.
Hope this helped. :-)

-Mike