Hi Mike
It can depend on what you are doing. If its video editing, my
recomendation is to do it properly and get an eSata card fitted to
your G5 and get the Mercury Pro Qx2 - eSata is the most reliable way
to go.
The G5 looks on esata as an internaly connected device on the
motherboard, wheras firewire devices are treated as external ones.
Also there is the temptation to unplug firewire "hot", I know of
several folk who have stuffed there motherboards because they
hotplugged the firewire plug in backwards ( yes, a firewire card will
probibally save this situation as well, you just kill the card which
is cheap compared to a motherboard!)
My two esata  external HDD's have Never faulted, whereas the two FW's
have....
Also, if you are sending large files of continious data (ie movie
files) to and from drives and DVD writers the firewire highway gets a
litte bit crowded with data so I dont like daisychaining either.
However there are multipull F/Wire channels in the G5, so the cheapest
way to go is to put the system drive in the G5 box,(thats on a sata
channel) and the two other HDD's in separate external cases, each one
on a differant fw channel - use the Fw800on one and Fw 400 for the
other  to ensure this , put the external optical drive on the
remaining fw socket.
However,If you want to do it right first time get the Mercury Elite
Qx2 and a eSata card ( depending on model of the G5 - its either PCI,
PCI-X or PCI-Express) and pop the drive,s you have in it. (but not the
one with the system OS on it - keep that in the G5). The good thing
about the Qx2 is that you can expand it as your budget and needs grow.
If you are making your living out of it, choosing  Enterprise Class
HDD's on new purchases is a good idea.
HTH
Bruce