I recently bought one of these with the failing caps problem.....

described thusly

 "... as spares and repairs because I dont have the time to reinstall Mac
OSX
 boots up to statup then sits on mac loading screen may just need
reinstalling ."
[image:
Photobucket]<http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq312/rubblemania/1-1-2-9.jpg>this
was how it arrived (seller's photo).

....basically for spares for my other eMacs and because I like a challenge,
and it *may just* have needed a re-install (another one I bought for spares
came without a System folder that had been trashed somehow so nice kernel
panic when I turned it on - an OSX install sorted that one although since it
is clogged with sawdust I need to strip and clean it before I dare use it
for anything!)

While I can wield a soldering iron I'm not intending to repair it but I've
been playing with it as a result of email conversations with an ebayer who
had one up for sale.  She said that hers will surf in safe mode, so I dug
mine out with a view to trying this out.
When I turned it on I found that I was in the middle of re-installing OSX on
it when I got fed up some weeks ago.
I started it in Safe Mode and was able to complete the installation
satisfactorily, then started it in Target Disc Mode and moved a few files
across, including the combined update.
So now I have an eMac running 10.4.11, and in safe mode it seems quite
happy.  Trying to boot it normally, it sometimes freezes at 'Starting OSX',
sometimes gets as far as  a desktop, but then the mouse freezes - basically,
as expected, no functionality.
So a couple of questions.

I usually share my internet connection between my Macs using a firewire
cable (why - because it just works beautifully!)
In safe mode I do not seem to be able to invoke this functionality - system
prefs only shows ethernet as an option. Am I missing something obvious or
can I only do this in full bells and whistles mode?

Everything *seems* to work fine in Safe Mode - I've installed a couple of
small apps  - Onyx, Neo Office, my printer - and they seem to work OK. (not
actually tried printing yet though!)
 VLC 0.9.9a doesn't seem to output video and sound - having just checked
System Prefs, it shows no input or output devices found, so do I lose sound
and video options in safe mode?
The eMac seems stable enough in Safe Mode, no video artifacts, random
freezes, mouse hanging - what kind of voodoo is going on here - I would have
thought that dodgy caps would cause problems in safe mode as well?

Looking forward to the group's erudition on this1

Dan.