On Mar 5, 2010, at 3:40 PM, Wm. Arnold wrote:

Here are answers to your questions about my Powerbook
that doesn't display image of CD on screen.
Might it be necessary to install a driver for DVD drive?

John:
I put a CD in DVD drive several times, no display although
I can hear it being accessed.
The Operating System was installed using my original Tiger disks.
These disks showed on screen during this install
but do not now.

Dan:
The ATA buss shows : DVD-Rom DRN-8080B.
No Errors in Console or System Logs.

William,

You don't seem to understand the problem. The Pismo's video card has a hardware DVD CSS (Content Scrambling System) which is only supported in OS 9. There is no support for commercial movie DVD's under OS X, so no commercial DVD that uses CSS will be recognized in OS X. There is a work-around, which is to use an application such as VLC that descrambles using software. The problem is that software descrambling taxes the CPU and most G3's are incapable of playing the resulting video smoothly. If you must play the DVD, the best solution is to boot OS 9.

Also, you reverse-hijacked your own thread by starting a new thread with the same topic. Your original thread was "Need Help with Powerbook". Under Google's threading system, which tracks replies independent of Subject line, you could have changed the Subject to "Answers to questions about 'Help with Powerbook'" and the correct thread would have been maintained. Instead, you started a completely new thread, which lost the original thread. In the future, if the original thread topic is still valid, don't start a new thread, just change the Subject line.