Yeah i'm getting a lot of pinwheels, I'll replace the hard drive, thank you.

On Mar 10, 2010, at 8:00 AM, Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu> wrote:

On Mar 9, 2010, at 9:31 PM, Derek Jones wrote:

My Power Mac G4 keeps making this whining noise when I try to use it, I think It has something to do with the hard drive, but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Sudden onset whining noises can come, pretty much from only four sources: the hard drive, the fans, the optical drive and the audio system.

If you're experiencing lots of spinning pinwheels, particularly when accessing the drive (opening, closing files, etc) it's the hard drive. Back up your stuff NOW, and look for a replacement.

If it seems very warm, and you can feel air moving out of the vents when the whining is happening, it's likely the fans. Sadly this is logic-board replacement time as the fans are part of the logic board on most models of these.

On a G4 if you can pull it out into the open and you can run it while the case is open. This will help you identify where the sound is coming from, down near the hard drive, in front by the optical (or zip drive, if present) by the fan, the back of the power supply (to id the fan in there).

The audio subsystem can be identified by unplugging any speakers...if the noise stops, it's the audio, which will be a special case to fix.

Pretty much, whatever you find making the noise, replace that part.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona

You received this message because you are a member of G-Group, a group for those using G3, G4, and G5 desktop Macs - with a particular focus on Power Macs. The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml and our netiquette guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml