> Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 05:54:23 -0700
> Subject: Re: boot image
> From: pe...@petermwarner.com

> I just ran into this with a USB flash drive, I cloned tiger retail
> DVD, and used Pacafist to strip out the hardware checks, then used it
> to install tiger (very, very slowly) on a tangerine clamshell (no
> firewire) I had picked up for $10. I then tried to use the same method
> on my backup Lombard (just for fun) and the drive was not recognized
> as bootable no matter what I did.

Having a "few" legacy Macs and being an avid Apple laptop collector as well as
G4s as my main work machines I find I need to reinstall or boot from various
other drives other than the installed hard drives of these machines - mostly
for either upgrades or troubleshooting.
All my G4s and my Pismo I can boot from an external firewire drive that has
Jaguar, Panther and Tiger installed on it as well as some utilities like
Diskwarrior and TechTool Pro.
My Lombards and Wallstreet I can either boot from an external 18Gb SCSI drive
with the same OS and utilities as above or a 16Gb Compact Flash card via a
PCMCIA card and ditto plus OS9
Earlier Powerbooks like my 1400c, duo 2300c, and 3400c I can boot from the SCSI
drive or another 8Gb CF card that has older OS's on like 7.6, 8.6 and OS9 on it
depending on which one I'm working on.
The bootable CF card and CF to PC card adapter has been especially handy for
troubleshooting.
The PC card cost me only $5 on ebay whereas the 16Gb cost me $30 but well worth
it.
While I use my USB sticks for data transfer etc daily , I'd much prefer the
external drives of CF cards for hard core work in regard to system or upgrades.

Stewie