On Mar 22, 4:30 pm, Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>
wrote:
> On Mar 22, 2010, at 1:16 PM, John Musbach wrote:
>
> > Hmm, perhaps this hypothesis could be proven by trying to use this
> > troublesome wifi system with ie5 for mac on the troublesome mac(s).
>
> Would not work. IE5 for Macs does not have anywhere near the same
> capabilities that IE6 and later did on PC's.

I have my Lombard with be tonight, and I'll be checking over ethernet
in one of the rooms, and one of the other Techs is bringing in a G4
book tommorow to check WiFi.

"You can TRY (and I don't think I did, I was just pissed off)
turning
on the developer menu in Safari, and setting the user agent as IE6,
but I don't think it'll work. "

I had planned to do this, either in Safari, or Firefox (or both)

"It might be interesting to see the source of the page they're
sending. "

Planned on that too.

"But if it doesn't, and they're not providing said free wifi to ALL
guests that want it...
that's a legal leg to beat them with.  That beating might best be a
PR thing - a major hotel chain that's discriminating against Apple...
Announcing that to the public will hurt their bottom line.  It would
be cheaper for them to fix the problem. "

Unfortunatley, the owner of My company has (through this building) a
vested interest in NOT bad mouthng the hotel chain publicly.  From a
guest perspective, this would be something to think about wherever you
go, these companies are hulking giants, and don't always realize that
they are driving people away through their actions, until you throw a
rock at their heads...  Certianly, higher ups here could exert
preasure, that does not mean it will change, and I hope here is a
solution that can be accomplished at the User level until then,( I am
realy hoping that User agent switching can work) because I am on the
ground, and have to see disgruntled guests. If I can't give them a
work around, I (and they) think I'm not doing the best I can for them.
Guests (and other tenants) don't make the distinctions between all of
the companies involved here, they see the guy with the tool belt, and
think I can fix anything.  All you I.T. guys aught to know the
feeling ;)

Thanks for all of the replies, and wish me luck.