On Mar 22, 2010, at 10:02 PM, JOHN CARMONNE wrote:

Hi All

I have a new Hitachi 2TB HDD and I'm going to put it in an eSATA external enclosure for music and movie storage. I read some where that a journaled drive can be slower than one that's just Mac OS extended. I ask because my son has two of these large drives and his boot time can be really long and we were told it's because the journaled drives are a drag on the system.
Is there any support for this or is it picking pepper fro fly s..t?

JOHN CARMONNE
Yorba Linda USA
sent from my Wally 10.4.11

When you first use a drive that has data on it, Spotlight can take up a lot of CPU initially creating a Spotlight Index ... then it goes away and things appear to run faster again. Is that what you're talking about?

Don't think it starts up again unless things are added to it needing indexing, then its just a short time taken up, updating the Index.

I believe it occurs when you first startup ...

10.4.11 Spotlight has bugs ... you need to let it finish.

Does this have any thing to do with a Journal-ed drive?