I recently got a QuickSilver G4 1.0Ghz DP for 25 bucks I was informed it
was freezing up but the previous owner thought it might have been RAM related.
I've changed out the RAM and run several runs of XBench (figured this would
stress enough for problems to come out). I have seen no problems via that. I
don't have any Apple Hardware Diagnostics that works for this Macintosh (is
this available as a free download from Apple by any chance?). I have noticed
something though - The heatsink on top of the processors seems to get VERY HOT.
Like if I shutdown the computer and open the side and touch the heatsink it is
just cool enough so it doesn't cause a burn, is this normal? I have checked the
fan that is under the shroud that routes out of the case and it spins and runs
so its not that that isn't working. If this processor normally runs hot is
there any better way to cool it a side fan doesn't seem like a very effective
way of cooling
 (I'm from the PC World where heatsinks have fans on top).

    Next question I plan on setting this up as a server and want to add
harddrives to it but have noticed there are a total of 5 or 6 molex plugs for
internal harddrives however most of them route inconviently. Is the PSU on this
computer adequate enough to run 4 hard drives if I get splitters? If not does
this take a standard ATX based PSU or do I need to get a compatable higher
wattage one?

Thank You,
Albert Carter

Any of the QS and MDD models esp dual CPUs I have had anything to do with run
hotter than any of the previous G4 series.
In saying that though you can reduce the heat quite a bit by a reapplication of
the thermal paste between the processor and heatsink.
You can also buy third party cooling fans to help reduce temps too.

The PSU on those should be fine for running that amount of hard drives.

Stewie